Strategies to heal breast cancer
After my dad died of cancer in 1991, I became a medical and health researcher with the idea that if cancer ever struck my family again, I would be ready.
The truth is, I don’t think you’re ever really ‘ready’. But through my extensive research, education and personal experience, there are some things that are absolutely vital to fighting cancer and I wanted to share them with you
According to BreastCancer.org, “in 2018, an estimated 266,120 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 63,960 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer. About 2,550 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in men in 2018”.
The Forst Cancer Plan
1. Test for Toxicities
Toxins, such as heavy metals and xenoestrogens (like pthalates and parabens) can disrupt your hormones synthetically. The reason this is dangerous is because hormones are our body’s chemical messengers and they regulate every cell, tissue and organ in our body.
There are 100,000 chemicals in use today and 80,000 of them have not been tested as safe for human health. Chemicals not only disrupt our hormones, but also our metabolism and DNA. Chemicals we come in contact with on a daily basis damage our cells and causes inflammation, which leads to a weakened immune system.
2. Test for Silent Infections
An infection is when your body is invaded by disease-causing microbes. Many times your immune system can fight infections, other times intervention is needed. The goal of any anti-cancer plan is to make your immune system strong so that you can ward off serious illness. Unfortunately, millions of people are walking around with a silent infection that is just waiting to cause a major health crisis.
There are different types of infections which include viral, bacterial, fungal, and parasitic.
Here are some silent viral infections that are linked to cancer (15% of all cancers can be attributed to a virus):
- HPV – Human papillomavirus
- EBV – Epstein barr
- HBV & HCV – Hepatitis B & C
- HHV-8 – Human herpes virus-8
It’s not just viruses that get into our cells and lead to cancer. Bacteria and parasites have been associated with types of cancers as well.
- A stomach bacterial infection called Helicobacter pylori increases the risk of stomach cancer (source).
- Women who have had the bacterial infection, Chlamydia, may be at greater risk for cervical cancer (source).
- A parasite called Schistosome has been linked to bladder cancer (source).
Click here to read more about these silent infections and cancer. Click here to schedule a lab test to see if your health conditions are actually a silent infection.
3. Test for Nutrient Deficiencies
I also recommend testing for nutrient deficiencies. Research shows that nutrient deficiency is linked to 33 different diseases, so it’s important to make sure you are getting enough vitamins and minerals every day to maintain your health. These nutrient deficiencies have specifically been linked to cancer.
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin K2
- B Vitamins
- Vitamin C
After testing, a targeted supplement protocol can address deficiencies.
4. Anti-Cancer Nutrition
Although there is not a one-diet-fits all approach for cancer, the Keto diet is one that is gaining in research in its efficacy against cancer. I wrote an article detailing the Keto diet and it’s affect on cancer, but the Cliff’s Notes version is:
The Keto diet focuses on eliminating starchy foods and replacing them with healthy fats and proteins, the body does not have as much glucose as it would in a normal or high carb diet. It’s important to know that cancer cells thrive on glucose – or sugar. And we know that carbohydrates turn into sugar when digested.
Not to mention that research suggests that a Keto diet can help lower your risk of heart disease, as well as help people with epilepsy, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, and type 2 diabetes. Studies also show that this diet is effective on acne, cancer, polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), and nervous system diseases like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and Lou Gehrig’s disease.
5. Essential Oils for Cellular Health
According to the National Cancer Institute, essential oils are now used to improve the quality of life in cancer patients. Application of oils “may exert antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic effects”.
Essential oils affect the biochemistry of our cells. Because essential oils are so highly concentrated, they are 50-70 times more potent than herbs. In addition, essential oils are soluble so they can pass through the cell wall and into the cellular membrane.
See the chart below for essential oils for cellular health. To get started with any of these oils, click here.
Got questions? I would be happy to help you choose the ones that are right for your specific needs; click here to schedule a complimentary phone consult.
6. Anti-Cancer Supplements
The standard American diet is highly processed and therefore void of many nutrients our bodies need to stay healthy. That’s where supplements come in. The following supplements have been studied and all have been found to have a relationship with preventing and/or treating cancer:
- Alpha lipoic acid – “ALA increases the availability of antioxidants to cells, reduces cellular damage, promotes health, and targets cancer cells and cancer promoting factors for destruction” (source).
- Curcumin – in cancer patients, curcumin doses as high as 3,600 mg a day have been shown to induce the favorable anti-cancer effects, including cancer cell destruction and death. It’s also been shown to stop cancer cells from dividing and spreading.
- Melatonin – a powerful antioxidant and free radical scavenger, melatonin helps combat inflammation. Also can induce cancer cell death and stop growth.
- Milk Thistle – the active ingredient in milk thistle is silymarin, which is considered an antioxidant that protects against cell damage and repairs liver tissue. It also has antiviral and anti-inflammatory effects.
- N-acetyl cysteine – NAC is considered a “promising cancer chemopreventative agent”. And several studies have shown it to be effective against cancer in animal testing.
- Omega-3s – “Higher intakes of EPA and DHA from dietary sources were reported to be associated with a 25% reduction in breast cancer recurrence and improved overall mortality in a large cohort of over 3,000 women with early stage breast cancer followed for a median of 7 years”. (Source)
- Selenium – 69 studies with over 350,000 people have shown selenium as a good defender against breast, lung, colon and prostate cancers (source).
- Quercetin – according to a study by the Boston University School of Medicine, “Quercetin has an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity and prevents cancer.”
- Vitamin C – one study performed by researchers from Weill Cornell Medicine, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Tufts Medical Center, Harvard Medical School and The Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center found that high-dose vitamin C delivered through an IV, can actually stop the growth of tumors.
7. Detox with an Infrared Sauna
When I meet with a client who has a serious health condition, one of the first things I recommend is an infrared sauna. In fact, my husband and I have a Sunlighten Sauna in our home and use it multiple times a week.
Multiple studies have shown that saunas are effective in removing solvents, organic chemicals, PCBs, pharmaceuticals, and heavy metal toxins from the human body.” (source)
Why an infrared sauna? Because an infrared sauna heats the body at the cellular level allowing your endocrine glands to excrete toxins in your sweat. The benefit of an infrared sauna, over a regular sauna, is that there is very little humidity and the high temperature is reached quickly.
Additionally, Sunlighten Solocarbon heaters are the most effective – and the safest – infrared heaters on the market. Sunlighten saunas have met the strictest safety standards for more than a decade. Their patented heater design has a 95-99% emissivity rating and cancels out EMF to levels that are virtually undetectable.
8. Detox Personal Care, Home and Cleaning Products
Xenoestrogens that are found in personal care, home and cleaning products are chemicals that mimic estrogen. “When chemicals from the outside get into our bodies, they have the ability to mimic our natural hormones; blocking or binding hormone receptors. This is particularly detrimental to hormone sensitive organs like the uterus and the breast, the immune and neurological systems, as well as human development” (source).
I recommend that you remove any chemical-based personal care, home, and cleaning products and move toward cleaner, wholesome plant-based products. Better yet, make your own with essential oils. Check out my video on how to detox your personal care products.
These are the plant-based, non toxic cleaning products that I use:
- Hand soap with pump – gentle, healthy alternative to harsh soaps that may dry and irritate sensitive skin.
- Laundry detergent – color safe for washable fabrics at all temperatures and is free of synthetic fragrances, dyes, and toxins, which makes it a safe choice for your family as well as the environment.
- All-purpose cleaner – this powerful essential oil blend is combined with plant-based derivatives that provide a non-toxic and biodegradable way to clean and eliminate odors, so it is safe for loved ones as well as the environment.
If you’d like to get these for your home, click here.
9. Reduce Stress
Studies show that regular exercise can decrease your risk of breast cancer by 10-20%. Exercise helps balance estrogen and maintain a healthy weight. Simple exercises several times per week can make a huge difference. I recommend using a trampoline rebounder, that helps to detoxify your lymphatic system while you exercise.
Yoga is another great option for improving your health and reducing stress. Emotional stress is a risk factor for breast cancer. “The theory is that our stressed-out brains send signals to our adrenal glands to produce stress hormones. In turn, these stress hormones trigger cancerous activity such as the production of free radicals (DNA damage), inflammation, impaired cancer cell death, and stimulation of growth factors that can promote tumor cell growth” (source).
Essential oils can be great tools to support a healthy mood balance. Here’s my favorite emotional aromatherapy kit, which includes:
AromaTouch Diffused Kit (100 pv), which includes:
- Balance® – creates a sense of calmness and well-being
- Lavender – has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, but also great as a sleep aid
- Melaleuca – best known for its purifying qualities, which promotes healthy immune function
- On Guard® – contains a powerful proprietary blend that supports healthy immune function
- AromaTouch® – has the unique ability to lessen tension and provide comforting and relaxing effects
- Deep Blue® – formulated to soothe and cool
- Wild Orange – perfect for uplifting moods and energy levels, also freshens the air
- Peppermint – addresses a number of health concerns, from muscles aches and seasonal allergy symptoms, to low energy and digestive complaints
- Avoid pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides
- Choose organic, locally-grown and in-season food
- Peel non-organic fruits and vegetables
- Buy hormone-free meats and dairy products
- Reduce the use of plastics
- Be aware of noxious gas from printers, carpets, fiberboards, and at the gas pump
- Check out the Cellect-Budwig Protocol
Cancer does not have to be a death sentence, and by empowering yourself to take control you can beat the odds. If you’d like individual coaching for your specific needs you can schedule a health history consult with me here.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.