Prevent and Treat Cancer Naturally
I recently came across this quote while researching natural cancer treatments: “ALA increases the availability of antioxidants to cells, reduces cellular damage, promotes health, and targets cancer cells and cancer promoting factors for destruction” (source).
What is ALA?
Well let’s take a look.
ALA is also known as alpha lipoic acid and it’s a vitamin-like chemical that acts as an antioxidant. It’s found in foods like, yeast, spinach, broccoli, potatoes and meats like kidney and liver. It can also be taken as a supplement.
Alpha lipoic acid has been found to prevent certain kinds of cell damage in the body. It also restores vitamin E and vitamin C levels in the body, breaks down carbohydrates to make energy, and works as an antioxidant.
Benefits of Alpha Lipoic Acid
As a powerful antioxidant, alpha lipoic acid has been shown to have a remarkable ability to protect the body (and especially cells) from oxidative stress. “Oxidative stress is essentially an imbalance between the production of free radicals and the ability of the body to counteract or detoxify their harmful effects through neutralization by antioxidants” (source).
And just to remind you why free radicals are bad – free radicals chemically interact with cells and cause them to become destabilized. This causes a chain reaction that leaves the body susceptible to illnesses, such as:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Gene mutations
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Heart and blood vessel disorders
- Heart failure
- Heart attack
- Inflammatory diseases
Alpha lipoic acid is also used in patients with diabetes to relieve symptoms. It has anti-inflammatory properties, which helps with nerve pain, numbness and burning.
And for those who are not diabetic, but may have an insulin imbalance and need to lose weight, ALA has been known to help these patients lowering insulin levels and reverse insulin resistance. Because high levels of insulin cause weight gain, low insulin levels are very important for long term weight loss.
Alpha Lipoic Acid and Cancer
The effects of alpha lipoic acid have been studied in cancers, such as leukemia, colon, lung, ovarian, and breast cancers.
Studies show that ALA:
- Inhibits the progression of cancer (source)
- Increases survival rates in lung cancer cells (source)
- Inhibits breast cancer cell proliferation (source)
- Induces death of cancer cells (source)
- Increases oxygen production in cancer cells (source)
Cancer cells are anaerobic; they thrive in an oxygen-deprived environment. Therefore high amounts of oxygen are toxic to cancer cells and will slow their growth.
The good news about alpha lipoic acid is that if you make the decision to stick with traditional medicine, ALA can still help. Chemotherapy kills cells – cancer cells, as well as healthy cells. ALA can protect your body against damage to healthy cells from chemo and even radiation.
In order to get my daily dose of ALA, I take doTERRA’s Alpha CRS+ (Cellular Renewal System) supplement. This supplement contains a cellular energy blend of antioxidants that includes 100mg of ALA. Below are the primary benefits of Alpha CRS+:
- Supports healthy cell function by reducing oxidative stress to DNA and other critical cell structures
- Supports healthy response to oxidative stress in cells
- Supports cellular energy by supporting healthy mitochondria and by supplying metabolic factors of energy production
- Supports healthy cellular immune function
- Supports mental clarity and brain function
And here are the ingredients:
- A proprietary antioxidant cellular longevity blend exclusive to doTERRA that includes potent amounts of powerful polyphenols including baicalin from scutellaria root, resveratrol from Polygonum cuspidatum, ellagic acid from pomegranate, proanthocyanidins from grape seeds, curcumin from turmeric root, and silymarin from milk thistle
- A standardized extract of Boswellia serrata for boswellic acid that supports healthy cell function
- A standardized extract of Ginkgo biloba that supports mental clarity and function
- Potent levels of metabolic factors of cellular energy (coenzyme Q10, quercetin, alpha-lipoic acid, and acetyl-l-carnitine)
- Made with sodium lauryl sulfate-free vegetable capsules; does not contain milk, wheat, or animal products
- Includes tummy tamer botanical extract blend to prevent stomach upset
Got questions about your health and which supplements and protocols are right for you? Book your complimentary phone consult with me here.
And if you are interested in other tactics to fight cancer, then you may want to read my post, The Ketone Diet and Cancer.