Can Essential Oils Help You Stay Healthy this Winter?
We are deep into cold and flu season! Coughing, sneezing, fever, and aches…oh my!
You can’t scroll through your Facebook feed without seeing someone complain that they or someone in their family is sick. My daughter came home from school one day and said that the school feels so empty because so many students are out sick.
So if you’re like me, you’re frantically thinking about how you can keep your family healthy this winter!
First, if you are sick, click here to determine whether it’s the cold or the flu. Then continue reading that post to see the natural remedies that I recommend.
Is it a Virus?
First the science: the terms ‘cold’ or ‘flu’ are used to describe a bacterial, viral or fungal infection. So a proper distinction is necessary to determine treatment.
Luckily, there are essential oils that are considered as anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal. More on that in a bit.
The flu is a viral infection, whereas, the virus enters a cell and uses itself to replicate and hide from your immune system. Smart little bugger.
Research has shown that essential oils can assist in stopping this process (source).
Here are the essential oils that I recommend when you are addressing cold and flu symptoms:
- On Guard – this is a proprietary blend by doTERRA that supports healthy immune and respiratory functions, while also supporting the body’s natural antioxidant defenses.
- Cinnamon – helps maintain a healthy immune system and the health of the gastrointestinal tract, while supporting cardiovascular and circulatory health. You can also place one drop in hot water or tea with honey and drink slowly to soothe your throat.
- Bergamot – supports a healthy nervous system, cardiovascular system, and cognitive function.
- Lemon – supports healthy respiratory function, also is very uplifting and energizing and may help to improve mood (I know I get cranky when I’m sick!).
- Eucalyptus – one study showed that the influenza virus was gone after a period of active diffusion with a nebulizer (source). You can also apply it topically to the chest and breathe deeply for an invigorating vapor.
- Melissa (lemon balm) – flu A “pretreated with lemon balm essential oil was unable to attach to host cell surface receptors in vitro” (source).
- Thyme – supports a healthy immune system, has antioxidant qualities, supports the health of your lungs and respiratory system, promotes the health of your nervous system and purifies the air.
- Clove – contains powerful antioxidant properties, helps to quench free radicals and maintain a healthy immune system, and support healthy cellular function.
- Lavender – helps to support healthy immune function and response during times of seasonal threats. Also promotes feelings of clear breathing and open airways.
- Geranium – supports a healthy immune system and helps to maintain the general health of a variety of organs and organ systems.
- Tea Tree – promotes healthy immune function, purifies air, and supports healthy lung and respiratory function.
- Frankincense – one of the most prized and precious essential oils due to its extensive health benefits. Among many, it supports healthy cellular function and healthy immune function and response.
7 Ways to Use Essential Oils
- Diffuse 2 drops bergamot and 2 drops eucalyptus. This combo has been found to significantly reduce viral growth when diffused for 10 minutes.
- To relieve congestion, add several drops of frankincense to a bowl of hot, steaming water and add a few drops of eucalyptus. Place a towel over your head and inhale the steam.
- Diffuse 2 drops cinnamon and 2 drops geranium. This combo showed a reduction in viral growth when diffused for 30 minutes.
- Add 25 drops tea tree oil to a 16 oz glass spray bottle and fill with water. Spray and clean all of the surfaces in your home, especially door knobs, light switches, remote controls, and bathroom fixtures.
- To purify the air in your home, diffuse 1-2 drops lemongrass, 5 drops tea tree and 4 drops clove.
- Combine 1-2 drops of one of the above oils with 1 tablespoon fractionated coconut oil and massage on feet, back and chest.
- Clean the air in your home by diffusing 4 drops tea tree oil and 4 drops lemon oil.
Are you ready to get started with certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils? I’m your certified oil coach and I can help.
When you work with me, you will receive:
If you have questions or ready to get started, email me Leann@GroovyBeets.com