Can an Essential Oil Protect You Against Infections?
In 2016, 154 million prescriptions for antibiotics were written. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 30% of those were unnecessary.
So what’s wrong with overprescribing antibiotics? For starters, it’s not helping your health; actually it’s making you less healthy in the long run. Don’t get me wrong, antibiotics are a great tool of modern medicine. It’s the overuse of antibiotics that we need to be aware of.
With overuse and misuse of antibiotics, your bad bacteria changes. This change creates a resistance to drugs, chemicals, or anything designed to address infections. So the bad bacteria survive and continue to multiply; then they become harder to treat.
Called one of the world’s most important health problems, antibiotic resistance can lead to serious disability and even death.
Antibiotics & Gut Health
Antibiotics work by destroying bad bacteria, but sometimes they also attack good bacteria. When this happens it weakens the stability of the gut flora, the balance of good bacteria and bad bacteria in your intestines. Prolonged antibiotic use can sometimes damage your gut flora to the point where it can’t be reversed.
This kind of damage can affect more than just your gut health. Because 70% of our immune system is in our gut, it can lead to real sickness. People who frequently use antibiotics are more vulnerable to many types of illnesses as they age.
It’s important to remember that the good bacteria in our bodies protect us from infection. So if antibiotics kill the good bacteria, then our immune system is compromised.
A Natural Antibiotic
I’m always looking for natural remedies that are effective, but without the harsh side effects of today’s pharmaceuticals . That’s why I love Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade oregano essential oil for when an antibiotic is not needed. The main ingredients in oregano essential oil are carvacrol and thymol – both are purifying and cleansing agents. The antioxidant properties, in oregano essential oil helps:
- Prevent and treat viral infections
- Fight inflammation
- Relieve allergy symptoms
- Boost immune system
- Aid the respiratory system, which can help fight pneumonia and bronchitis
I have also found that oregano essential oil can remove warts, cleanse mold from the home, be effective against MRSA, and fight intestinal worms and parasites.
Oregano oil has been tested on patients with 20 clinical strains of bacteria with different clinical conditions. And the oregano oil was active against all tested strains. It proved to be an effective means for the prevention of antibiotic resistant strain development.
Also, a 2014 study found that oregano oil has powerful anti viral properties against norovirus, in some cases inactivating the virus within an hour of exposure.
Internal Use of Essential Oils
Whether an essential oil is safe to take internally depends on the following:
- Sourcing and Purity of the oil – If the oil is not pure and has contaminants, then you could end up doing more harm than good. That is why it is important to know whether proper testing has been performed. Testing techniques can analyze the constituents in the oil. Gas chromatography (GC) is a technique that provides a fingerprint of the oil and can reveal additives. A mass spectrometer (MS) can measure the presence and quantity of chemical constituents that give essential oils their therapeutic benefits. Look for a brand that’s sourcing and testing is transparent, so you know your oils are pure.
- The Type of Essential Oil – Many oils are not meant to be taken internally. For example, Wintergreen essential oil consumption is dangerous due to the presence of menthyl salicylate.
- The Health and Age of the Person – Some oils should not be taken by children or pregnant women as they contain hormonal components.
Infection Fighting Protocol with Oregano Essential Oil:
If you are dealing with a viral, bacterial, fungal or parasitic infection in the body and want to use oregano essential oil internally, then I first recommend consulting an Essential Oil Expert or Holistic Health Practitioner. If deemed safe for your particular health situation, here is a protocol that I used when I obtained a parasitic infection from swimming in a contaminated waterpark:
- 1 drop in a veggie capsule, taken with food for 14 days.
Please note: I do not recommend taking oregano oil without putting it in a veggie capsule because it is a “hot” oil.
Would you like a complimentary consult on how to use essential oils for your specific health concerns? Click here to schedule today.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.