Can Essential Oils & Supplements Help Your Mood?
It’s likely that someone in your family, or circle of friends, is on some type of antidepressant.
In fact, there are about 40 million adults who experience some type of mood disorder and it can be serious. Effective treatments range from medication to mental health counseling, cognitive behavioral therapy, lifestyle change, and even aromatherapy.
The problem is that depending on the severity of a mood disorder, medication is not always necessary. And quite frankly it’s overprescribed. We need to pay attention to the facts: according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “from 1988–1994 through 2005–2008, the rate of antidepressant use in the United States among all ages increased nearly 400%”.
Here are common side effects one can suffer from antidepressants:
- Blurred vision
Is it worth it to suffer if medication is not needed?
The use of essential oils is not new; they’ve been around for thousands of years, helping with a variety of health issues. Including emotional health.
When you inhale an essential oil, it travels up your nasal cavity to your olfactory neurons where it meets the olfactory mucous membrane. There, thousands of receptors will identify the smell and the sensory stimulation is sent through the olfactory bulb and into the limbic system of the brain. The limbic system is responsible for memories, emotions and moods.
Don’t forget that you can also use essential oils topically by diluting the oils with a carrier oil (fractionated coconut oil is my favorite) and rubbing on your skin. I recommend the bottom of your feet because they’re the most porous section of your skin. And because doTERRA’s essential oils are certified pure and therapeutic grade, you can take many of them internally by adding them to your water or taking a veggie capsule. However, I do not recommend taking other brands of oils this way.
Emotional Aromatherapy Blends
Here are the essential oils blends that are included in the doTERRA® Emotional Aromatherapy System:
- Motivate – promotes confidence and courage while giving you extra energy. Contains peppermint plant, clementine peel, coriander seed, basil herb, yuzu peel, melissa leaf, rosemary leaf, vanilla bean absolute.
- Cheer – brightens and invigorates your mood. Also promotes positivity. Contains wild orange peel, clove bud, star anise fruit/seed, lemon myrtle leaf, nutmeg kernel, vanilla bean extract, ginger rhizome, cinnamon bark, zdravetz herb.
- Passion – rejuvenates, inspires and sparks creativity. Contains fractionated coconut oil, cardamom seed, cinnamon bark, ginger rhizome, clove bud, sandalwood, jasmine flower absolute, vanilla bean absolute, damiana leaf.
- Forgive – encourages feelings of peace and forgiveness. Contains spruce leaf, bergamot peel, juniper berry fruit, myrrh resin, arborvitae wood, nootka tree wood, thyme leaf, citronella herb.
- Console – helps with feelings of sadness, disappointment and grief. Contains frankincense resin, patchouli leaf, ylang ylang flower, labdanum stem/twig, amyris bark, sandalwood wood, rose flower, osmanthus flower.
- Peace – promotes peaceful feelings and soothes anxiety. Also a great sleep aid. Contains vetiver root, lavender flower, ylang ylang flower, frankincense resin, clary sage flower, marjoram leaf, labdanum leaf/stalk, spearmint herb.
The Mind – Body Connection
It’s important to remember that when your gut isn’t healthy, your brain cannot properly function at an optimal level. When healthy habits are practiced daily, and your body gets the proper vitamins and minerals it needs, your body’s systems can run smoothly.
When I say daily healthy habits, I don’t just mean using essential oils, eating properly, and getting enough exercise and sleep. Supplements are also needed because unfortunately, the foods we currently eat are not giving us everything we need because our soil is depleted (don’t get me started on pesticides and the processing of food).
So what kind of supplements am I talking about? Well it’s important to take a high-quality multi vitamin/multimineral daily because we need to supplement the food we’re eating with essential vitamins and minerals. And a comprehensive omega-3 supplement that consists of EPA and DHA is crucial because your body need these fatty acids to function, but also they deliver some big health benefits. And finally, an antioxidant supplement helps to fight free radicals that cause DNA damage.
Want my supplement recommendations? My family and I take the following from doTERRA:
- Lifelong Vitality Pack – includes:
- Alpha CRS+ – doTERRA’s proprietary formula that supports healthy cell function, as well as mental clarity and brain function. It contains a variety of vital ingredients, including curcumin from turmeric root, milk thistle, Ginkgo biloba, coenzyme Q10, and more!
- xEO Mega – combines doTERRA’s CPTG essential oils with natural marine and plant-source omega-3 and carotenoids. Take 4 of these per day to improve your heart, joint, brain, eye and nervous system health. Also great for your skin. xEO Mega® includes 800 IU of natural vitamin D and 60 IU of natural vitamin E.
- Micro Plex VMz – provides 22 essential vitamins and minerals to support growth, function and maintenance of cells. This formula includes vitamins A, C, D, E, calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
- PB Assist + – helps support a healthy functioning digestive and immune system. It encourages friendly bacteria growth and maintains a healthy intestinal microflora balance.
- TerraZyme – a digestive enzyme complex that blends whole-food enzymes and supporting cofactors that you cannot find in most foods we eat.
Want more information? That’s what I’m here for! Schedule a phone consultation with me here: http://ow.ly/EImx30iyVqP
Ready to order these products at wholesale cost? Click here for your secure order form.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.