Learn All About the Healing Benefits of Tea Tree Oil
Chances are you have heard of tea tree oil before, but do you know of all of the amazing natural benefits of using tea tree oil? I wanted to highlight this essential oil that is not only versatile and effective, but affordable and easy to find.
Tea tree oil is also known as melaleuca oil because it is taken from the leaves of the melaleuca alternifolia tree. This tree (or sometimes tall shrub) is indigenous to Australia and New Zealand. In the 1920’s a man named Arthur Penfold was researching native extracted oils and found that tea tree oil had antiseptic properties.
Today it is still used for treating many medical conditions because of its antibacterial properties.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil
- Treats acne – tea tree oil is a disinfectant, which will clean out your pores and get rid of any nasty bacteria.
- Relieve athlete’s foot – Dr. Andrew Weil says that tea tree oil “works as well as or better than pharmaceutical antifungal products”.
- Soothes and heals sunburn – apply some of this essential oil to ease the discomfort from your next sunburn. Tea tree oil also helps reduce the healing time.
- Freshens your home – add a few drops to your laundry, spray some on your carpets, or put some in your dog bed to help prevent fleas.
- Cleans your home – add tea tree oil to a few more natural ingredients and you’ve got yourself a non-toxic household cleaner.
- Relieves itchiness – if you have a rash, a bug bite, or even an itchy scalp, apply some tea tree oil to get rid of that itch fast.
- Alleviate breathing or respiratory problems – add some drops in a steam tent, hot bath or humidifier to sooth a cough or asthma.
Don’t forget to combine with a carrier oil such as Jojoba Oil or Olive Oil before applying to the skin to avoid burning the skin.
Want more information on other essential oils? Take a look at my page on doTERRA’s Essential Oils here and learn how to get them at wholesale prices.
Share your favorite uses for tea tree oil in the comments below!