How You Can Stay Healthy this Winter
It’s the most wonderful time of the year…if you’re a pharmaceutical company.
Everyone, everywhere is sniffling, coughing and sneezing. People are catching colds, getting the flu and being diagnosed with strep throat. So how do you stay healthy without running to the doctor? I’ve compiled a complete cold and flu guide so you will be ready for the season.
Cold vs. Flu
First I want to briefly go over the symptoms of a cold versus the symptoms of the flu, because so many people confuse the two. With a cold, you may feel icky for a few days; but with the flu, you can be out of commission for up to a week or more. So it’s important to know the difference.
- Runny nose
- Watery eyes
- Sore throat
Flu Symptoms (and these tend to come hard and quick):
- Muscle aches
- Tightness of Chest
So now that you know how to identify a cold and flu, how do you prevent getting either one?
Here are some natural ways to boost your immunity. And I like to remind my clients that, by doing these things, you’re not only boosting your immunity to avoid illness, you’re making yourself healthier and less susceptible to all illnesses in the future.
- Eat Manuka Honey – it’s antibacterial and anti-inflammatory (good for coughs, etc.)
- Eat more yogurt or take probiotics
- Take an Elderberry extract (for viral infections)
- Take multi-vitamins and minerals
- Eat Clean
- Pop Zinc lozenges
- Drink lots of liquids
- Add mushroom powder to your smoothie (The Journal of the American College of Nutrition says that mushrooms have immune boosting powers and increase T cells while decreasing inflammation)
- Take natural peppermint for nausea
- Enjoy some chicken soup (there are loads of minerals in the bone broth)
- Gargle with warm salt water to kill pathogens
- Use a salt inhaler to clear out bronchial mucus
- Enjoy all-natural popsicles for a sore throat
- Use a humidifier to bring moisture into your room and your respiratory system
- Enjoy some essential oils – like eucalyptus and On Guard® (see below)
- Use a heating pad for achy muscles and sick tummy
I am a huge fan of doTERRA’s On Guard® essential oil. This blend consists of wild orange peel, clove bud, cinnamon bark, cinnamon leaf, eucalyptus leaf, and rosemary leaf/flower oils. This combination is powerful to fight viruses, infections, boost immunity, and increase antioxidants. It also promotes healthy circulation, and when diffused it’s energizing and uplifting.
On Guard can be used in a variety of ways:
- Add two to three drops in a veggie capsule or glass of water for an immune boost.
- Add to a spray bottle for an effective all-purpose surface cleaner.
- Soak sliced apples in water and a few drops for a healthy, immune-boosting snack.
- Combine a few drops of doTERRA On Guard with Fractionated Coconut Oil and rub on your feet to service every cell in your body.
Essential Oil Blend Recipes for Cold and Flu Symptoms
Simple Solution – Fever: Blend 2 drops peppermint and 2 drops of eucalyptus in a bowl of cool water. Moisten washcloth with water, and use to sponge the forehead, back of neck, and feet.
Simple Solution – Sore Throat: Add 4 drops OnGuard and 1 tsp. salt to ¼ cup of warm water, and stir until salt is dissolved. Gargle with the solution for 30 seconds then spit out. Repeat up to 2 times a day until sore throat is gone.
Simple Solution – Colds: Blend 5 drops of lemon essential oil and 5 drops thyme in 1 tbsp of fractionated coconut oil. Apply a small amount to the throat, forehead, chest, and back of neck 2-3 times per day.
Have you gotten sick yet this season? What are some of your tips to boost immunity?
If you’d like a complimentary phone consultation on which essential oils are right for your specific health concerns, you can schedule it here.
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.
As always, be sure to consult a qualified practitioner or certified essential oils coach on how to use essential oils safely and effectively for your health. Information from Leann is only a guide and be sure to discontinue use if any adverse reactions occur and consult your physician immediately. Please take special caution using oils in conjunction with medications, during pregnancy, and with children under 6. Leann is happy to provide a free 15 minute phone consult that you can schedule here: http://ow.ly/x3mA30ge1xu